Perfect Macaroni And Cheese
Recipe from Grandma Mavis
- 8 Ounces Elbow Macaroni
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Flour
- 3 Cups Milk
- 3/4 Pound Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Mustard
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/8 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 2/3 Cup Dried Bread Crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain well. Preheat oven to 400.
- In small, heavy saucepan melt butter or margarine, remove from heat and stir in flour until smooth. Add milk, return to burner and cook, stirring constantly, until as thick as thin cream.
- Stir in mustard, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Grease a medium sized baking dish. Place a layer of cooked macaroni on bottom of pan. Add a layer of cheese. Repeat until the dish is full, topping with a layer of shredded cheese.
- Pour sauce over macaroni and cheese.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs on top. Bake uncovered at 400 for 25 minutes.
For a heartier supper dish, add a layer of sliced ham between layers.