Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
- 1 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Poppy Seeds
- 8 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, At Room Temperatue
- 2/3 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Zest
- 1 Whole Egg
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Mix in the lemon zest and egg until blended. Mix in the dry ingredients on low speed just until incorporated.
- Drop balls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until cookies are set and just beginning to brown at the edges (do not let the tops brown). Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack set over wax paper to cool a bit before glazing.
- To make the glaze, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Add more lemon juice if necessary, just until the glaze has reached a consistency good for drizzling over the cookies. Glaze the cookies and let the glaze set before serving. Store in an airtight container.
Adding the glaze makes the cookies a little too sweet.